Re: UNIX/:7100 not found ?

On Sun, Nov 07, 2004 at 10:43:13PM -0500, Keith R. John Warno wrote:
> For the record, running xfs to serve fonts only to the local machine (as
> in the case of most home users) is pretty silly, but I believe RH
> defaults to this.  Take a look at the man page for XF86Config for a
> rather verbose instruction on how to configure X.  ;-)  This xfs-related
> issue pops up on this list rather often.

Gnome (specifically libpango) has some nasty bugs relating to using
core X server fonts that can leave your entire Gnome install unusable
/ unrecoverable.  Thus, they tend to discourage using anything but an
external font server.

(And yes, I've hit some of those bugs.  Summary: Libpango, due to a
bug, thinks all glyphs in a given core font are a million or so pixels
wide, so gnome app asks for an X window accordingly wide, which X
can't do (32767 is the biggest X window), gnome app crashes, but in
the crash handler, the gnome app writes out persistent
state... including default window placement and size.  That app will
never be able to start again.  None of the graphical recovery tools
will deal properly either; they become unrunnable too.  You'll have to
go through your system blowing away all the cached state files by
hand, one-by-one)

Monty