Re: UNIX/:7100 not found ?

* Steve Thackston <dst812@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [08/11/2004 0015EST]:
> Xfree86
>
> I get the following error msg and I have been going crazy trying to
> track it down.  What's the scoop ?? See the following attachments...
>
> Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list!
>
> Fatal server error:
> could not open default font 'fixed'

Red Hat Linux likes to use xfs -- the X Font Server -- exclusively for
serving fonts, even for the local machine.  If you look in your
XF86Config file (typically in /etc/X11/), in the section called "Files"
you should see a configuration directive called FontPath with a value
"unix/:7100".  This value is a reference to the X Font Server (which
typically listens on port 7100).

If your X server was unable to open the default font, then it was unable
to contact the font server, which should be running on your local
machine.  Examine the process list to see if xfs is running.  If it is
not, start it.  If it is running then the problem lies elsewhere.

For the record, running xfs to serve fonts only to the local machine (as
in the case of most home users) is pretty silly, but I believe RH
defaults to this.  Take a look at the man page for XF86Config for a
rather verbose instruction on how to configure X.  ;-)  This xfs-related
issue pops up on this list rather often.

krjw.
--
Keith R. John Warno (SA)                       |<   /\   Y   /\   >|
www.kayakinteractive.com                       I n t e r a c t i v e