Connecting from an X-Terminal

I have a few Linux boxes running SuSE 8.1 (and thus XFree86 4.2) to which I would like to be able to connect from an X terminal (NCD NC900). There are a couple of instructions out there on the net, and better yet, they seem to agree on everything. So I did all the required configuration changes, but I don't get a connection. It doesn't work either from another Linux box running X with the -query option, so I don't think it's the NC900 that is at the root of the problem.

Does anyone have an idea of what I can do to figure out what's going wrong? Debugging options, log files, or stuff like that?

Konrad.