numlockx and switching to console don't work :-/

From: ignotus@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: xpert@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat Sep 25 19:42:44 2004 +0200
 Obscurity, linux)

Hello!

I noticed that X no longer sends kp_8 kp_2 ... but kp_up kp_down
... keysyms to Emacs, I thought that it is a numlock issue so I
installed numlockx application to turn on my numlock.

Unfortunately it fails:

,----
| ignotus agony:~ [1752:1]% numlockx on
| X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
|   Major opcode of failed request:  148 (XTEST)
|   Minor opcode of failed request:  2 (X_XTestFakeInput)
|   Value in failed request:  0x0
|   Serial number of failed request:  19
|   Current serial number in output stream:  22
| zsh: exit 1     numlockx on
`----

(I use my real numlock key for switching keyboard mouse on/off.)

I thought the reason of numlockx not working was maybe my xserver being
too old (4.2.something), so I upgraded that to 4.3.0 (Debian sid).
Numlockx still did not work, but I got a lot more severe problem:
control-alt-f1 became control-alt-f13, c-a-f2 became c-a-f14 etc, so now
I can't switch to a console or to another x server (only with Linux
magic sysrq key).

How can I solve these problems?

Ps: news.gmane.org lists lot of xfree86 newsgroups, I tried
gmane.comp.xfree86.expert and gmane.comp.xfree86.newbie, both seems to
be dead for me (~1 year old messages are the newest), so I subscribed to
this list.

--
...sutongi tti olleh
                                                         [0] /join #real_life