Re: Flashing graphics with TrueColor visual

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004, Phil Roets wrote:

> Hi Everybody,
>
> Can someone please help me with this problem or tell me where to look
> !  Google did not have anything usefull, or maybe I phrased the searches
> incorrectly.
>
> We have an existing application that flashes selected graphic elements in a
> synchronized way by alternating their color map entry values at fixed
> intervals, using the PseudoColor visual (8 bit depth).
>
> The application needs to be upgraded to run on 24-bit depth
> displays.  Since DirectColor is badly supported by many hardware/dirver
> combinations, we have to try and get the same effect with the TrueColor
> visual which does not support changing of colour map entries.
>
> Is there any means of flashing specific graphic elements without redrawing
> the graphics on each flash phase ?

    No, you can't modify the TrueColor colormap.  You should be using
DirectColor or redrawings parts (you can draw portions of the screen
with XOR or invert type operations - draw once to change, draw again to
restore).  Most mainstream hardware/drivers should support DirectColor.

		Mark.