Dvorak and non-US-ASCII characters/keyboards

This is the setup I've had for several years:

    Option "XkbRules"   "xfree86"
    Option "XkbModel"   "pc104"
    Option "XkbLayout"  "dvorak"

Now, it used to be that I could get to most accented symbols and the
like that I wanted without too much hassle.  At some point (no, I don't
know what version, but isn't Debian testing running some old 4.2 or
something?) that changed under Debian, and it's changed under OpenBSD
too.  That configuration is now US-ASCII only, and I have no idea how to
fix/extend that.  I at _least_ need a pound sign, but all the
combinations of 'dvorak' and 'gb' and different modes of configuration
have all failed in the grossest of ways, disabling half of my keys or
defaulting to Qwerty, or both.

Does anybody have an example Dvorak configuration that isn't useless?