Newbie with graphics problem under VirtualPC2004

Hello,

this is a totally newbie question, apologies if it sounds too naive.

I've installed Red Hat 9 under VirtualPC 2004 in my Win2K system. When specifying the video graphics adapter, I went with the default setting and accepted an (emulated) 4MB Sis card. when the installation ended and the system reboots for the first time, it loads the service "firstboot" and it attempts to load X-Free. What I get on the screen is broken graphics. Reading into a VirtualPC FAQ (yes, RTFM, I guess) I see I should have chosen "VESA 2.0" as my graphics adapter.

Now, considering I'm pretty new to Linux (but well-versed in Windows systems, if that's any help), is there a way to stop X running and edit the VGA card, without having to re-install from scratch -and learn something in the process :-) ?

Thanks in advance