Re: tty text screen distorted after starting X

Mark Knecht wrote:
After X has started, the text screens tty1...6 become "weird". The characters are much too big, look distorted and "blink". I think there's something wrong with the text mode. The screens stay so even when shutting down X or rebooting.
I have seen this problem with one of my low-end ATI cards. I don't think it's an XFree problem, per se, but maybe I'm wrong. This is caused by certain charaters which are sent to the console switching the card into an extended character set.
Anyway, so if it isn't a specific app like it was in my case.

Hi Mark,

I get this problem just right after starting X. I don't start any program, it's just there when I switch back immediately to console pressing Ctrl-Alt-F[1..6].

It's definitely a nVidia driver problem (I thought), because with Mandrake's default nv driver all is fine (but no 3D or OpenGL).

But now you're saying you got this problem with ATI too...