Re: tty text screen distorted after starting X

Sascha Ternes wrote:
Cynthia Grossen wrote:

 You need to send us your log file if you want help. Restate your
problem when you do.

Hello,

thank you for offering your help!

I have a FX5200 running with Mandrake 10.0. After installing the latest nVidia driver I have the following problem:

After X has started, the text screens tty1...6 become "weird". The characters are much too big, look distorted and "blink". I think there's something wrong with the text mode. The screens stay so even when shutting down X or rebooting.
This doesn't seem to have to do with the graphic resolution of X or the color depth. Before I installed the nvidia driver, all was fine.
I am fairly new to Linux and X and hope there is someone who knows about the problem and has an idea how to fix it.

I just installed a fresh Mandranke-10.0, installed the nVidia driver and ran X the first time with the new driver.

Hi,
I have seen this problem with one of my low-end ATI cards. I don't think it's an XFree problem, per se, but maybe I'm wrong. This is caused by certain charaters which are sent to the console switching the card into an extended character set.

In my case it's not the act of starting X that causes the problem, but rather that certain programs through messages to the console and that X doesn't filter them, so they go to the card and cause this to happen. In my case Mozilla Mail does it so I solved the problem by starting it in fluxbox this way:

[exec] (Mozilla Mail - log ) {mozilla -mail >MWKmozmail.log 2>&1}

There's also some sort of escape sequence that you can type in the console to restore the card back to the normal character set but I cannot find it in Google right now. Something like "\xE or "\xF, but I don't think those are right.

Anyway, so if it isn't a specific app like it was in my case.

Where the X folks could help me is in understand is there a way to get X to filter stuff like this itself?

Cheers,
Mark