Re: Font server crashes frequently

You reboot *which* server on Sundays?  The machine?  X?  I assume you
don't mean the font server.  :-)  I assume it's not simply that you
don't have xfs configured to start at boot in runlevel 5..

I reboot the entire server once a week on sunday nights. The font server is configured to start at boot in runlevel 5. My problem occurs during the middle of the day on monday. For some reason the font server crashes and eventually crashes xdm. I restart the service and it crashes again within the next 48 hours.

You might want to check the xfs config file, particularly use-syslog
and error-file, and think about running xfs from /etc/inittab, with
-daemon.  Or run memtest86 for a day or two, if you can spare the time;
maybe you have bad memory.

You didn't attach any relevant xfs-is-dying messages from syslog, so...

The logs that I looked at were "xdm-errors", "XFree86.0.log" and my "messages" log files.

The only consistant thing that I see is this line right before it crashes (in xdm-errors)

> > (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4"
> > Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list!
> >
> > Fatal server error:
> > could not open default font 'fixed'

Which relevant file(s) should I be referring to to determine why I am having this problem?

Thanks for the feedback.

-ÉW