Re: Font server crashes frequently

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 10:17:41AM -0400, E'very Ware wrote:
> I have about 10 ncd hmx terminal connecting to this terminal. I have the
> server set to reboot once a week on Sunday. Every monday morning the
> font server crashes. I restart it and it crashes again usually with 48
> hours. I have pined through the logs and have following error:
>
> > (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4"
> > Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list!
> >
> > Fatal server error:
> > could not open default font 'fixed'
>
> I am trying to determine how to resolve this problem. I have attached a
> copy of the log files as well as the config file. Any ideas on how to
> proceed?

FAQ!  FAQ!!

Your xserver is configured to want a font server running; yours is
likely dying for some reason.   This isn't that uncommon    This isn't
that uncommon    This isn't that uncommon    This isn't that uncommon

(re-reads message)

Oh, you *did* say "font server".

You reboot *which* server on Sundays?  The machine?  X?  I assume you
don't mean the font server.  :-)  I assume it's not simply that you
don't have xfs configured to start at boot in runlevel 5..

You might want to check the xfs config file, particularly use-syslog
and error-file, and think about running xfs from /etc/inittab, with
-daemon.  Or run memtest86 for a day or two, if you can spare the time;
maybe you have bad memory.

You didn't attach any relevant xfs-is-dying messages from syslog, so...

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra@xxxxxxxxxxx
Tampa Bay, Florida        http://baylink.pitas.com             +1 727 647 1274

        "They had engineers in my day, too."  -- Perry Vance Nelson