Re: OpenGL and XFree86

On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 11:12:38PM -0400, Samuel Winchenbach wrote:
> Wow.	I am starting to think perhaps I should just use it and not
> question how it works.

    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

> So basically GLX is very important to using
> OpenGL in X.	It looks like it performs multiple duties (nice SNL
> reference) and is critical to the implementation of hardware accelerated
> 3d graphics in X.  I am using NVIDIA's drivers on my system, so they do
> not use DRI?

    That's right. They have their own direct rendering implementation.

> Is DRI necessary for hardware accelerated 3d application in X?

    Not DRI specifically, but something supporting similar capabilities.
Stripped down to essentials, direct rendering is just a label for an
efficient way of moving lots of data into the graphics card from user
space apps, without the kernel or X server needing to touch all of it.

> There is a scary and fine line between drivers and GLX.

    Yes indeed.

    Jon