Re: X Locks computer

dswiston@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> The system has/had shown no signs of instability prior.  I
> occasionally run a distributed computing program that is very
> sensitive to cpu/memory instability (folding@home) and have
> not seen any instability.  Just to verify as you suggested,
> multiple kernel compile yields no problems.  I have also tried
> using the "ati" driver in my x config but this yeilds no
> differences as does the vesa driver as I previously stated.

Okay, I wanted to confirm that you were not wasting time with what was actual a
hardware problem. Thanks.

Does X by itself work? No window manager or anything. It won't be usable, but
can help determine whether the problem is with the XFree86 server or other
aspects like your window manager or various dot files.
e.g. just run 'X'

Does running 'XFree86 -configure' work?

Do you have a previous or older kernel you could run? I am not blaming that, I
just want to isolate whether the problem is related to your kernel version or
not. Are you using the XFree86/linux kernel DRI or the DRI and AGP GART module
that comes with the ATI binary driver install?