Re: Re: X Locks computer

---- Original message ----
>Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 11:54:42 -0500
>From: Michael Taylor <michael.taylor@xxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re:  X Locks computer
>To: xfree86@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
>dswiston@xxxxxxxx wrote:
>> The system has/had shown no signs of instability prior.  I
>> occasionally run a distributed computing program that is very
>> sensitive to cpu/memory instability (folding@home) and have
>> not seen any instability.  Just to verify as you suggested,
>> multiple kernel compile yields no problems.  I have also tried
>> using the "ati" driver in my x config but this yeilds no
>> differences as does the vesa driver as I previously stated.
>
>Okay, I wanted to confirm that you were not wasting time with
what was actual a
>hardware problem. Thanks.
>
>Does X by itself work? No window manager or anything. It
won't be usable, but
>can help determine whether the problem is with the XFree86
server or other
>aspects like your window manager or various dot files.
>e.g. just run 'X'
>
>Does running 'XFree86 -configure' work?
>
>Do you have a previous or older kernel you could run? I am
not blaming that, I
>just want to isolate whether the problem is related to your
kernel version or
>not. Are you using the XFree86/linux kernel DRI or the DRI
and AGP GART module
>that comes with the ATI binary driver install?

Thanks for the tip on trying just 'X'.  I have solved the
problem but an still bewildered as to how the problem
originated, or why x would not write to the log file and
hardlock.  When running just 'X' the computer would not
lockup, but X would kick out and I was able to read that the
fonts were not loaded, appearing as if there were a problem
with them.  I inspected my fontpaths and everything looked ok,
the font files were there.  I however attempted to inspect
some of the fonts via mc's file edit, and was surprised when I
got a pipe error back at me.  I was however able to open other
fonts and inspect their contents.  To my surprise, some of
them had html code in them from random webpages!  So figuring
something was way out of whack, I used pkgtool to remove all
font packages and then re-installed them via the dropline
installer and everything appears fine.  X starts and startx
invokes x and my window manager (gnome) without a problem.
Now it sounds like this may have been caused by some disk I/O
corruption of some sort, but I would have figured since I'm
using reiserfs, that this would almost be impossible, unless
the hard drive is physically at fault.  So, does anyone have a
recommendation for software to test the hard drive?  Also, is
it possible that my x/windowmanger would cause a hard lock
given corrupt font's?

Thanks!
David Swiston