Re: Re: X Locks computer

The system has/had shown no signs of instability prior.  I
occasionally run a distributed computing program that is very
sensitive to cpu/memory instability (folding@home) and have
not seen any instability.  Just to verify as you suggested,
multiple kernel compile yields no problems.  I have also tried
using the "ati" driver in my x config but this yeilds no
differences as does the vesa driver as I previously stated.
The bad ethernel cable was due to the fact that I replaced a
hub on the network and ended up changing cables to this
particular computer, so its not as if this was a sudden
failure that may hint at hardware problems.  The cable was
used on a second computer and verified not to work.