Re: XVideo fails on 845G @ 1600x1200 (XF86 4.4.0)

Thomas Winischhofer writes:

> Bjorn Solberg wrote:
>> Thomas Winischhofer writes:
>>
>>> Are you absolutely sure Windows is using the overlay and is not blitting
>>> the YUV data into the framebuffer instead?
>> No, can you tell me how to tell the difference?

> Move the video-window quickly around on the desktop. If the video frame
> lags "behind" the window placement for a moment, it is the
> overlay. (Don't expect the delay to be of the same length like under X,
> it is presumably shorter.)

OK, I'll try that out later.  (Currently working in Linux.)

>> I know that the Windows
>> driver is able to show high-quality DV (and DVD) video at full-screen
>> without any jerkiness.  Using -vo x11 or -vo gl for mplayer in X11, I
>> can't expand the window even 20% before the video starts lagging.  (But
>> that's more because the X11 rendering is less efficient than Windows, due
>> to its superior capabilities.)

> The intel XFree86 driver does AFAIK not support YUV blits; I don't even
> know if the hardware supports it, and if they can eventually be scaled
> automatically. Without those hardware features (and of course, without
> driver support), the YUV data first needs to be converted to RGB, scaled,
> and so on. And that takes ages.

Yes, no kidding.

> Another idea would be to check what the reference memory clock was for
> the documents David (?) mentioned. I know from SiS hardware, that the
> overlay capability does not only depend on dotclocks, but also the memory
> clock. (Intel and SiS are similar in this regard as they both use shared
> memory) If the memory clock is higher, the limit for overlay use may be,
> too.

Is http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/datashts/290746.htm (download the
PDF file) a good reference?  It is dated Oct. 2002.  If so, are the
values there different from the values that were used when writing the
driver?  The overview in 1.4.5, on "Video Overlay", says

Maximum Overlay Display Resolution: 1600x1200x32 at 60 Hz and
1280x1024x32 at 85 Hz

It also says "200 MegaPixel/Sec Fill Rate", but for 3D graphics.

There's a "Specification Update" at
http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/specupdt/298657.htm, but it doesn't
seem to be saying anything about the clock or pixel rates.

Thanks,

Bjorn.