Re: XVideo fails on 845G @ 1600x1200 (XF86 4.4.0)

Bjorn Solberg wrote:
Thomas Winischhofer writes:

Are you absolutely sure Windows is using the overlay and is not blitting
the YUV data into the framebuffer instead?

No, can you tell me how to tell the difference?

Move the video-window quickly around on the desktop. If the video frame lags "behind" the window placement for a moment, it is the overlay. (Don't expect the delay to be of the same length like under X, it is presumably shorter.)

I know that the Windows
driver is able to show high-quality DV (and DVD) video at full-screen
without any jerkiness.  Using -vo x11 or -vo gl for mplayer in X11, I
can't expand the window even 20% before the video starts lagging.  (But
that's more because the X11 rendering is less efficient than Windows, due
to its superior capabilities.)

The intel XFree86 driver does AFAIK not support YUV blits; I don't even know if the hardware supports it, and if they can eventually be scaled automatically. Without those hardware features (and of course, without driver support), the YUV data first needs to be converted to RGB, scaled, and so on. And that takes ages.

Another idea would be to check what the reference memory clock was for the documents David (?) mentioned. I know from SiS hardware, that the overlay capability does not only depend on dotclocks, but also the memory clock. (Intel and SiS are similar in this regard as they both use shared memory) If the memory clock is higher, the limit for overlay use may be, too.

Thomas

--
Thomas Winischhofer
Vienna/Austria