Re: XVideo fails on 845G @ 1600x1200 (XF86 4.4.0)

David Dawes writes:

[...]

>> Reducing the resolution to 1280x1024 made XVideo work.  I tried setting
>> the DacSpeed parameter in XF86Config but that didn't work.  I thought the
>> 845G would be capable of that, as I have an old Matrox G400 that can do
>> XVideo at that resolution with no problem.  So this leads to a couple of
>> questions:
>>
>> 1) Is this a limit in the driver, or can the 845G really not handle
>> XVideo at 1600x1200?  (Windows XP seems to handle it just fine,
>> though.)  If not a physical limit, how can I make the driver handle
>> it, unless a driver update is needed?

> The limit is based on the documentation I had available when writing
> the driver, and on the fact that exceeding those documented overlay
> limits would result in a hardware lockup.  It is possible that newer
> hardware revisions have a different physical limit.  You'd need to
> rebuild the driver with the limit check removed/changed and see if it
> locks up or not when bring up an XVideo window.

Great!  I'll download the source, find the limit check, modify it,
rebuild and try again then.  Since video shows fine in the same
resolution under Windows XP, then hopefully that means it'll work for X11
as well.  The Windows driver came on a separate CDROM with the computer.

>> 2) If 1600x1200 really is too much for the 845G, is there any way that
>> XVideo be re-enabled (without restarting the X server) after
>> dynamically changing the resolution (Ctr-Alt-+/-)?

> The check is done at each mode switch, and XVideo is re-enabled if you
> select a lower-bandwidth mode.  1600x1200@60Hz is within the 845G limits,
> BTW, so if you want to keep that resolution you could do so if you do
> it at 60Hz.

I tried starting in 1280x1024@85Hz, and then video played fine (mplayer).
I increased to 1600x1200@85Hz and got a blue window.  The reduced to
1280x1024@85Hz, and video played fine again.  However, after starting
some other applications and then trying to reduce the resolution and play
a video, a window appears for a fraction of a second before mplayer
crashes with the following message:

X11 error: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)

MPlayer interrupted by signal 6 in module: flip_page
- MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
  It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your
  gcc version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault, please read
  DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html and follow the instructions there. We can't and
  won't help unless you provide this information when reporting a possible bug.

Can that be that too little memory gets allocated for the driver, or are
there other ways around it?

I would be fine with just using Ctrl-Alt-+/- to temporary adjust
resolution for playing video if mplayer wouldn't crash like above.

I'll download the source, rebuild the driver and try again.

Thank you,

Bjorn.