XF 4.4.0 and RH9.0

Hi

I installed the 4.4.0 on a RH 9.0 server, and I did back up the /etc/X11 dir first.
The X starts but the behaviour is strange. The user login screen shows up and after login I get to choose from a session list (only choice is "Default"). After this, some "console log for <server name>" shows up and that's all. On one of the ttys I see an error message saying something about

"could not open socket for inet 6"

or something. 3 error messages all having to do with "inet 6".

1) Looking a little on the xf86 webpage makes me think this has got to do with ipv6. Correct?
2) Do these messages have to do with xf86-4?

3) What is the best way of changing back to the xf86 3.nnn server? Simply deleting /etc/X11 and copying back the backup? I did that but now the X server comes up with an eternally turning hourglass (Doesn't get to login even). Do I have to reboot the machine to runlevel 3 or is it OK to just "init 3" before moving between servers? I did try XFree86 --configure, but I never get "past" login, and the error messages are as indicated above.

hope someone's got the same problem sometime...,

"Always mount a scratch monkey"
- Arno Teigseth -