Re: SOS from eParliament.org

On Friday 19 March 2004 03:57, Dr. Sichendra Bista wrote:
> As   you   are  aware, the problem is with the graphical mode login.
> Fatal Server error:
> Could not open default font 'fixed'

As I wrote you earlier: this error means that xfs is not running properly.
Because of this, X will not start. Your graphic mode problem is therefore
related to the problems with xfs. Solve xfs, and your graphic mode problem
should also be solved.

> Actually, the xfs server starts fine during booting, but when I try to
> restart  with  "/etc.rc.d/init.d/xfs  restart" command or "service xfs
> restart", it says it fails and it seems impossible to kill.
>
> I  also  tried  by  deleting  the  xfs.pid from /var/run directory and
> rebooting and it has not worked too.

Well, you could run X without xfs (I do). If I'm not mistaken, you should
remove/comment out a line involving "unix/:7100" from your configuration
file. If that doesn't help you might want to ask about your xfs problem on
the xfree86 mailinglist. As I don't use xfs myself I don't know where to find
the logs of xfs either, so I cannot help you find out why xfs will not run
for you.

Regards,

Pieter Hulshoff