Re: PseudoColor and Linux

On my machines I do the following:

. Edit /etc/inittab and change the line

  id:5:initdefault:

  id:3:initdefault:

  This will prevent X from starting automatically.
  You will have to log in on a console window and type
  'startx' to get it going.
  Reboot your box and check that this procedure works
  before proceeding, then:

. Make sure you have an 8-bit-depth entry in /etc/X11/XF86Config.
  If not, *save a copy* and edit the original to make one by adding
  lines like:

    SubSection "Display"
            Depth     8
            Modes    The-same-modes-as-your-other-depth-entries
    EndSubSection

  Reboot your box. You should now be able to select 8-bit depth by:

  'startx -- -depth 8'		(the 3 minus-signs are correct see
                                 'man startx')

  'startx' on its own will use whatever depth your DefaultDepth is
   set to in XF86Config

Cheers,
Terry.