Second try: Problems with german localization of xfree86 4.4.0

Hi,

maybe I made a mistake in my first two messages so I try it again.

First my System is a Power Mac G4 with Mac OS X 10.3.2 and all the
latest patches, fink Package manager version: 0.19.1, Distribution
version: 0.6.2.cvs and Xfree86 4.4.0 installed via fink, also gnome
2.4.1-2 via fink with metacity as windowmanager.

Two days ago fink installed Xfree86 4.4.0 on my system and
everything seemed to run fine on a first glance but a second one
showed two big errors.

First error I am not longer able to use the EuroSign and at Symbol
within OpenOffice.org1.1.1RC1 and abiword and gedit etc, only
within terminal and gnome-terminal and rxvt this is possibel. I
first thought that maybe this is a gnome error and used twm and
englightenment, both not installed via fink, and there the same
error. I simply can not use the EuroSing and at Symbol along with
the keycombos for è and é etc. Since the german.keymapping is gone
in Panther the system keyboard is used and this was just fine in
RC1, while RC3 didn't build right, see Bug 1182.

When launching soffice via command line this message ist displayed.

I18N: Operating system doesn't support locale ""

Second error is somewhat related to the first one. Files and Names
containing the special chars mentioned above are not shown or show
wired chars or cause a crash of the xterm when using Xfree86 4.4.0.
I tried it again with gnome's Metacity, englightenment and twm. The
first error that occures when a new xterm is launched, equal which
windowmanager is used is this:

Warning: could not change ownership of tty -- pty is insecure!

Here is the output when X is launched via terminal:

Maveric:~ erichoch$ startx

2004-03-13 12:40:01.395 XDarwin[4065]
XDarwin 1.3.0

XFree86 Version 4.4.0 / X Window System
Release Date: 29 February 2004
        If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your
hardware is
        newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
        reporting problems.  (See http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
Operating System: Darwin Apple Computer, Inc.
Could not find keymapping file Deutsch.keymapping.
Reading keymap from the system.
_XSERVTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.X11-unix should be set to root
Display mode: Full screen Quartz -- Direct Display
Screen 0 added: 1280x1024 @ (0,0)
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/,
removing from list!

I thought that  maybe the problem in some way is fink related but
the original sources show the same behaviour. I downloaded them and
compiled them for myself. I haven't tried the binaries for darwin
7.x but I guess they show the same behviour or are they compiled
with special flags?

I also tried various ways of setting the LANG variable as you can
see here in my .profile.

. /sw/bin/init.sh
alias daily='sudo /etc/daily'
alias weekly='sudo /etc/weekly'
alias monthly='sudo /etc/monthly'
alias tunnel='ssh -2 -x -L 2401:localhost:2401
tunnel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'
# alias ls='ls -v  -G'
alias unset_ooo='unset LD_SEG_ADDR_TABLE LD_PREBIND
LD_PREBIND_ALLOW_OVERLAP'
LANG=de_DE; export LANG
# export LANG=de_DE
# export LC_ALL=de_DE
unset LC_ALL
QTDIR=/Developer/qt
PATH=$QTDIR/bin:$PATH
MANPATH=$QTDIR/doc/man:$MANPATH
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/lib:$DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH

export QTDIR PATH MANPATH DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH

When exclude the LANG=de_DE, export LANG line wiht an # the second
error dissapears. I can but still I cannot use @, EuroSign etc and
all is english again and that never caused any problems.

Need I recompile gnome, metacity, englightenment or is the error
another one.

Since I use Mac OS X I have no Xfre86.log. So please tell me what
further informations you need and where I can find them. I can send
you my .xinitrc if necessary or the general log file of Mac OS X if
it helps.

I understand that my errors may not occure with english Xfree 4.4.0
on Macintosh but I am german nativ and I need an EuroSign and at
Symbol here on my mac and maybe french and other european languages
are effected too.

Regards,
Eric Hoch