Re: Re: Fwd:XFree4.4 no more GPL?

At 03:54 PM 3/2/2004 -0500, you wrote:
On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 08:06:19PM +0100, Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:
>Am Dienstag, 2. März 2004 17:49 schrieb Måns Rullgård:
>> Frédéric L. W. Meunier <1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> > Actually, according to
>> > ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-current/COPYRIGHT.TXT
>> > , I guess Slackware will:
>>
>> I suppose Gentoo won't have any problems either, since they are not
>> actually shipping the files. Besides, I don't think they have any
>> silly political reasons stopping them.
>
>Gentoo announced, that it will not supply ebuilds for XFree86 with the new
>license. There's actually a long disussion in gentoo-user mailing list about
>this. I'm going to write my own ebuild now. Imho the only reason for gentoo
>doing this, is a political one :-(

The answer is to bypass the middle man and go straight to the
source.  I'd like to see a range of package formats available from
the XFree86 ftp site so that people can more easily exercise their
freedom to run what they want without their vendor's "approval."
There seems to be something of a trend away from major vendors
providing support, and thus real added value, for individual users
anyway.

well i was thinking of making sun sparc tarballs.
i could upload them somewhere if so.

mark.