Re: Re: Fwd:XFree4.4 no more GPL?

Michael Schreckenbauer <grimlog@xxxxxx> writes:

> Am Dienstag, 2. März 2004 17:49 schrieb Måns Rullgård:
>> Frédéric L. W. Meunier <1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> > Actually, according to
>> > ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-current/COPYRIGHT.TXT
>> > , I guess Slackware will:
>>
>> I suppose Gentoo won't have any problems either, since they are not
>> actually shipping the files.  Besides, I don't think they have any
>> silly political reasons stopping them.
>
> Gentoo announced, that it will not supply ebuilds for XFree86 with the new
> license. There's actually a long disussion in gentoo-user mailing list about
> this. I'm going to write my own ebuild now.

Would you mind posting your ebuild somewhere so others can use it?

> Imho the only reason for gentoo doing this, is a political one :-(

I must have missed that, and I thought Gentoo looked like a reasonable
distribution.  I guess I'll just stay with Slackware if they are the
only ones that base choices on the usefulness of software rather than
personal opinions about the licenses.

Am I the only one who remembers when distributions used to include
Netscape Navigator?

--
Måns Rullgård
mru@xxxxxx