Re: Re: Fwd:XFree4.4 no more GPL?

At 10:58 PM 3/2/2004 +0100, you wrote:

Hello,

on 03/02/04 21:54, David Dawes wrote:
> The answer is to bypass the middle man and go straight to the
> source. I'd like to see a range of package formats available from
> the XFree86 ftp site so that people can more easily exercise their
> freedom to run what they want without their vendor's "approval."
IMHO this is not the point: even ATM you can run XFree86 w/o your vendor's
"approval", you have just to grab the sources and compile them by yourself. And
you're in completeley *freedom* do to that, AFAIK with all the distributions, as
no one forces you to use Debian|RedHat|Mandrake|* packages in place of sources.
But I think that in theory a distribution maintainer for XFree86 should know
XFree86 on that distribution better than any other XFree86 developer, so he's
the first address for any problem which could be specific to that distribution.
And IMHO this is surely a real added value.

On the other hand, even if XFree86 provides different package formats, how can
you be sure that they will be completely integrated in the different
distributions? I mean, about dependencies, platforms, libraries and so on... If
I install the XFree86 4.4.0 package on my Debian and some other software
installed don't work anymore because some conflicts? Should I manually compile
the non-working softwares or the XFree86 itself? Again, IMHO this is a
distribution-specific work, not an XFree86 one.

well if that's true this list gets a lot, a helluva lot, of distro specific questions.
personally i think that says a lot, a helluva lot, about the quality.

mark.