Goldstar 1460 SVGA

I have recently attempted to get into Linux, by using a new computer with an old, spare monitor that I have.  This didn't work as the computer contains a S3 Pro Savage chip.  I now have that working, using a modern display and the generic VESA driver.  I now have another problem.

On plugging in the GoldStar 1460 SVGA monitor, the graphical image is completely distorted, with the picture appearing to be displaced horizontally and dimmer than it should be.  I cannot use the graphical interface at all and have been attempting to modify /etc/X11/XF86Config - obviously without success.  Could you please advise me of the settings required in that file.

Thanking you in advance,

Niall McKelvie.