Re: inquiry

Thomas Racine wrote:

> hda:dma_timer_expiry:dma status==0x20
> hda:timeout waiting for dma
> hda:status error:status=0x58
> {DriveReady SeekComplete DataReq1uest}
> hda:drive not ready for command

That appears to be an IDE hard drive (hda is the master on the 1st IDE
controller) error. If I am reading it correctly, I suspect you may have a
serious problem with it. You are more likely to find better help in a redhat
linux forum or mailing list with this issue.

> During this message the screen turns on and off 4-5 times.  At that
> point a dialogue box appears stating the following:
>
> failed to start the display server several times in a short time period;
> disabling display:0
>
> I am then back at the login.  I've tried using the #
> redhat-config-xfree86 command and I can't find the problem.  Can anyone
> help with this issue?  If so could you be as detailed as possible as I
> do not know linux yet.

Without an idea of what video card you have, the XF86Config file
(/etc/X11/XF86Config), and output from the X server (/var/log/XFree86.0.log)
there is not much we can do to help you. Please send those files as an
attachment to the mailing list and people will try to help you.