inquiry

Hi Folks,

I'm not sure if this is the right way to go about this type of inquiry.  I am a brand new user who is attempting to install red hat linux 9.  It seems as though the files were installed correctly, however when I boot I receive the following message:

hda:dma_timer_expiry:dma status==0x20
hda:timeout waiting for dma
hda:timeout waiting for dma
hda:status error:status=0x58
{DriveReady SeekComplete DataReq1uest}
hda:drive not ready for command

During this message the screen turns on and off 4-5 times.  At that point a dialogue box appears stating the following:

failed to start the display server several times in a short time period;
disabling display:0

I am then back at the login.  I've tried using the # redhat-config-xfree86 command and I can't find the problem.  Can anyone help with this issue?  If so could you be as detailed as possible as I do not know linux yet.

Thanks!
Tom