Re: Disable Copy-on-Select?

Ruth A. Kramer wrote (in a message from Saturday 31)
 > Matthieu Herrb wrote:
 > > XTerm.VT100.Translations: #override\
 > >         <BtnUp>:select-end(PRIMARY) \n\
 > >         ~Ctrl ~Meta <Btn2Up>: insert-selection(SECONDARY)\n\
 > >         Ctrl<Key>C:  select-set(PRIMARY, SECONDARY)\n\
 > >         Ctrl<Key>V: insert-selection(SECONDARY, CUT_BUFFER0)
 >
 > Thanks for posting this, as it gives me a chance to ask a few questions
 > (I've been feeling my way through setting up some (two-key) key bindings
 > (for Nedit) recently using the translation table approach.
 >
 > 1.  What does the ~ in front of Ctrl and Meta mean (does that perhaps
 > make it optional)?

'~' in front of a modifier name means that this modifier should not be
acticve.

 > 2.  Is there a way to require two mod keys on one keystroke, e.g., I've
 > tried things like Ctrl+Alt<Key>c?

Yes, just list the modifiers separated by space, ie:

     Ctrl Meta<Key>C: select-set(PRIMARY)

 > 3.  What is the Meta key?  (Is that typically the Win key?)

It depends on your keyboard mappings. By default, in recent XFree86
versions, it's the Alt Key that's mapped to the Meta Modifier. The
'Windows' key is mapped to the Mod1 modifier. (See 'xmodmap -pm' to
find out about your current modifiers mappings).

 > 4.  Any clues on where I can find a good explanation of the file
 > format?  E.g., the \n\ at the end of most lines (all but the first and
 > last) and the requirement that there be no spaces after the last \.
 > (Somebody has explained to me that it has to do with escaping the
 > following <return>, but I wondered where the format requirements are
 > documented.  (Is it possibly the format of a very long line in Bash??)

This is documented both in the Xlib (Chapiter 15) and in the Xt
(Appendix A & B) specifications,
which you can find in xc/doc/hardcopy/specs/X11/xlib.PS.gz and
xc/doc/hardcopy/specs/Xt/instrinsics.PS.gz in the XFree86 source tree.

The '\n\' sequences are needed because the resource value (the
translation table) need to embeed newlines, but it should be treated
by a single line by the resource manager. '\n' includes a newline that
is ignored by the resource manager, and the final '\' hides the true
newline that is there only for readability from the resource manager
parser.

The O'Reilly series on X also carries some explanations.

					Matthieu