Re: Disable Copy-on-Select?

The general idea is that for any (linux) distribution, when using X, if you select text, it is immediately copied into the buffer that is pasted when the middle mouse button is pressed.

I would like to disable this. I'm unfortunately not familiar with the specifics you mention in your reply. (I wish I was so I could give a more accurate answer.)

As far as I've ever been able to tell, if you select text in X, it is for all intents and purposes "copied". There appear to be two seperate copy/paste buffers in X, but I've never been accurately able to predict which one it is copied to. I simple middle-click to paste, and if that fails, use CTRL-V.

I would simple like to stick to the more ubiquitous (look, I hate Windows too) CTRL-C -> then -> CTRL-V semantic. When users migrate from Windows to Linux, this is what they expect. And personally, I can't blame them. Copy-on-Select in X has always been unpredictable at best for me. I'd simple like a way to do away with it.

Thanks.

Matthieu Herrb wrote:

xfree86 User wrote (in a message from Thursday 29)
> All -
> > Is there a way to disable copy-on-select within the latest stable > xfree86?

What to you mean excatly, I assume you're talking of selecting text
with the mouse and copying it into X's selection or CUT_BUFFERs ?

> I know that for many, this is a useful feature. I can > appreciate that. But I have specific users/friends that I am introducing > to X that specifically do not want/need this feature.
> > I am more than willing to patch/recompile X for them in order to > accomodate this.

afaik, this is something that needs to be handled at the toolkit
level (Gtk, Qt, or Xt/Xaw). Afaik there's no easy way to do what you want in most Xt/Xaw
application. The basic X cut/paste paradigme is that text
"selectionned" is copied into one of the cut buffers, and thus there's
no separation between "highlighting" text and copying it in the
available actions. The only idea I have on this is to change the paste action so that it
inserts the contents of CUT_BUFFER1 for instance. And then make the
'copy' action copy selection from the actual selection to CUT_BUFFER1.
xcutsel may give you an idea of this approach.

For Qt or Gtk based applications, the above trick may work too, but
I've no idea how to implement it.

					Matthieu