Re: an other "no screen" error...

Filippo, I'm on the xFree mailing list and I had the same problems with Mandrake 9.2 on my laptop. I have no idea why this happened on a fresh install. I checked the resolution in the GUI version of my config (after X decided to automatically change my resolution from 1024x768 to 800x600 on startup) and tried to change it back to 1024. It worked fine until I logged out,or shut down, and then I got the same error you're getting - again. X would repeat the whole process of changing the resolution! The only way I could get X to start with the proper resolution(that IT had originally picked on installation) was to make the changes on the command line version of the config panel. For some reason, I have found that certain things don't always "stick" when you make the attempt to change settings in the GUI.
Hope this helps :-) Jay.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2004 9:41 AM
Subject: an other "no screen" error...

Hi all,
I've installed a Debian 3r woody distribution into my linux partition and, when I try to run startx, it gives me a  screen error, saying that  there're "screens found but do not have usable configurations.".
I know that's a frequent error, and the only solution to resolve this problem is ask into this mailinglist.

Afterall there's no XF86Config problem... I edited this one myself and used, also, the same one of the my old Slackware dist (that worked, and now doesnt work). Then I'm inclined to think that there're some problem of conflict... cause the configuration of the display is right. Should be a conflict with xdm?? That's what I think.. but I really dont know how to solve this!
Please help me ;)

N.b: If someone want to look at the config... I've attached it!
Ty all

F. Guarnieri
  IncrediMail - il mondo della posta elettronica si è finalmente evoluto - Clicca Qui