Radeon 9200 256MB Produces Garbled Screen With CVS Version Of XFree86

On FreeBSD 5.2-RELEASE, XFree86 4.3.99.902 was checked out from CVS on
17/01/04 and compiled. The hardware is described in more detail in the
attached files, but basically I'm using an ATI Radeon 9200 8x with 256MB
RAM, on a motherboard for AMD chipsets, which has nvidea bridges.

With the version of XFree86 that ships with FreeBSD 5.2-RELEASE, the
machine would hang if I tried to use the radeon driver, and manually
specify a ChipID in the appropriate Device section. The VESA driver works,
 but the refresh rate is unusable, and would be a waste of this card's
capacity.

After installing the latest version of XFree86, the machine would no
longer hang, but was subject to a different problem; upon issuing the
command xinit, the X would load but the display showed the canonical
messed up graphics screen, i.e "all the colours of the rainbow". I was
able to exit X by moving the mouse, which could still be seen, to the
default xterm that is opened in the top left hand corner, and then typing
exit. If one tried to switch to another console using CTRL-ALT-F1 for
example, the screen remained garbled. I tried just about every possible
ChipID that might work, see attached XF86Config file for details, but
exactly the same thing happened.

I typed in:

glxinfo > My.glxinfo

At the invisible xterm when the screen was garbled, and upon subsequent
examination, it showed that direct rendering was enabled.

So basically I am now stymied, I tried everything within my knowledge,
 and more. I've tried searching everywhere. I noticed that quite a few
other people had similar problems, but it seems that under RedHat 9,
changing the ChipID works, but I haven't tested this myself as I don't
run this OS.

As you can imagine, this is marginally annoying and dissapointing, as
I only just got this machine. I should have checked that the card was
supported BEFORE I bought it, but I assumed that radeon would be supported
since my other machines all have radeons.

The PCI entries for Radeon 9200 were missing from /usr/share/misc/pci_vendors,
 but adding them to it didn't make any difference. But not knowing what
that file is for anyway, I wouldn't know whether they were supposed to.

Anyway, if anyone can help me try and get this card working, I would
greatly appreciate your help. If I can't get it working, then I regret
that I will have to sell the card and by a different one. Ideally however,
 I would like to use this card as it has a nice 256MB Ram, and was good
value for money.

Regards

0X