Re: Upgrading XFree 86 to 4.3.0

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, Danny Holten wrote:

>I'm new to Linux and I'm currently running Red Hat 8.0 3.2-7 (kernel
>2.4.18-14smp) in combination with a version of KDE that is unknown to me
>(I don't know how to check my KDE version yet :-S). I'm running XFree86
>4.2.1 and wantto upgrade it to 4.3.0 since this version supports the
>usage of the randr extension through xrandr (it seems that randr support
>will also be available in KDE 3.2 in the form of krandr, but that's
>probably not important at this point). Anyway, I do not have root access
>rights and I was wondering if it is still possible to update XFree and
>if so, how do I proceed? Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in
>advance.

My XFree86 4.3.0 src.rpm is rebuildable on RHL 8.0, but requires
a few dependancies to be upgraded first.  If you review the
xfree86-list@xxxxxxxxxx list archives, I posted how to do this in
the past.  Essentially, you edit the spec file, twiddle the
build_xxxx macros, modify Release: field to indicate it is an 8.0
custom build, ie: by adding ".80.custom.0" to the end of the
existing Release: field.  Then rebuild, and you'll get
dependancy failures.  Rebuild each dependancy from RHL 9 or FC1
src.rpms, and install each dep.  Eventually you'll get all of the
3-5 deps figured out, and can build the XFree86 rpm for RHL 8.0.

Others on xfree86-list have followed this and gotten it working
as well, so there are many there who can offer advice if you need
a hand.

Hope this helps.

--
Mike A. Harris