Re: mouse driver

gauri  nerlekar wrote (in a message from  17)
 > hi,
 >   i am trying to develop a mouse driver and right now i am testing
 >   a basic mouse driver.

Are you writing a driver for the Linux kernel or for XFree86 ?

 >   for testing the driver i need to disable
 >   the existing mouse driver an d then load my driver, but when i
 >   try to remove the input core support from the kernel
 >   configuration, the xfree86 fails to create a X server. in such a
 >   case how can i test my own driver?

Obviously you could use the -allowMouseOpenFail option to the X server
to start it even if it can't open the core pointer, but it's not
really useful in your case I guess.

If you're replacing the kernel driver, and it's not compatible with
existing kernel driver, you should also implement an XFree86 driver
that talks to your new kernel API.

If you've just changed the device name under /dev but kept a
compatible API, then just update your /etc/X11/XF86Config file to
point to the new entry in /dev.

					Matthieu