mouse driver

hi,
  i am trying to develop a mouse driver and right now i am testing a basic mouse driver. for testing the driver i need to disable the existing mouse driver an d then load my driver, but when i try to remove the input core support from the kernel configuration, the xfree86 fails to create a X server. in such a case how can i test my own driver?
  please help me out on this!
            thanks,
                                                      gauri