Compatibility between HP-UX 10.3 & Xfree86 on Freebsd 4.8

I've developed code on the HPUX platform using the native X11R6 windowing supplied using g++
2.95.2. In the code there are public domain widget such as a Notebook widget and XgComboBoxWidget.

The identical code compiled on both systems unchanged produces strange results on the FreeBsd box. HP box is running CDE and FreeBsd KDE.

For example, the XgComboBoxWidget will not drop down the list on the FreeBsd box but works properly on the HP UX box. Is this a KDE window manager difference?

How compatible is Xfree86 to what would normally be found on commercial box such as HP UX?
I've checked the obvious places such as code specific for a platform. The widgets i have
are pretty simple and really have no system dependencies in them .

Where can i start looking ? Has anyone ever experienced these kinds of anomalies and if so what where they caused by?

Looking for any clue at this point. Thanks