Re: kvm switch causing mouse problems

it works exactly as you described. its confused now for a second or two after the first time the mouse is moved, and then it manages to come to its senses. cool. thanks all,

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 22:21:30 -0800, jmw <jmwincn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Egbert wrote:

Mark Vojkovich writes:

>    XFree86's mouse protocol handling doesn't seem to be able to
> handle interruptions/inconsistencies in the protocol stream that
> kvm switches cause.  As far as I can tell, XFree86 has always had
> this problem.  Other than switching VTs to force a the server
> to reset its state machine, I don't know of another solution.

The problem are not so much intermediate inconsitencies in the protocol
but rather the fact that the mouse gets powered down and up again
by some kvms loosing all its configuration data.
One may be able to work around this problem by choosing the auto protocol.
This attempts to redetect the mouse when inconsitencies in the data stream
persist.
However I cannot tell for sure. I never had a kvm for testing when I
implemented the auto protocol.

Egbert.

i found this same problem months ago & finally got around to digging up the XF86config file.

changing protocol to "auto" does help -- i notice a slight pause on the screen
when i switch back to RH9, but full cursor control is restored within about a
second after that. i don't know whether it matters, but i have a Belkin F1DS104T.

the only other workable solution i found was (as root):

service gpm restart

but this one isn't terribly convenient.
--
jmw