XFree86 & X

XFree86 is a free implementation of the X Window system correct? Well, I
was checking out http://www.x.org, which I had always assumed where the
original makers of X, and I got the impression that their "version of X"
was also free to download. The terms of download seemed to grant about the
same rights as XFree86's. I almost downloaded it to check it out, but I
hesitated because of it's potential size (and since I'm happy with XFree86
anyway, and didn't really want to install it, just examine the source
code). I must be missing an important key part here, but I'm really in the
dark. What are the basic differences, or is it a matter of personal
choice, kinda like one Linux distro. versus another?

[jayjwa]RLF #37