Re: XFree86 & X

jayjwa wrote:
XFree86 is a free implementation of the X Window system correct? Well, I
was checking out http://www.x.org, which I had always assumed where the
original makers of X, and I got the impression that their "version of X"
was also free to download. The terms of download seemed to grant about the
same rights as XFree86's.

Correct. In fact, much of the implementation is the same since XFree86 was originally based on the X.org version and has continued to pull in changes from it, and X.org has included some of the previous XFree86 changes back into their tree.

> I almost downloaded it to check it out, but I
hesitated because of it's potential size (and since I'm happy with XFree86
anyway, and didn't really want to install it, just examine the source
code). I must be missing an important key part here, but I'm really in the
dark. What are the basic differences, or is it a matter of personal
choice, kinda like one Linux distro. versus another?

The main difference is the intended use. The X.org distribution is intended
for other developers and system vendors to use as a base for their own X distributions. XFree86 is one of the groups that have done exactly that,
adding support for a wide variety of hardware, and even extending the core
functionality in some areas. For most end users, XFree86 is simply more
useful.

--
        -Alan Coopersmith-         alan.coopersmith@xxxxxxx
         Sun Microsystems, Inc.    -     Sun Software Group