Re: Bandwidth statement in Monitor section?

On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 01:04:11AM -0800, Carl Miller wrote:
>I feel like this must be a FAQ, as I doubt I'm the only one who is religious
>about finding out not only the H and V refresh rates my monitors are
>capable of, but also the maximum video bandwidth they can handle, so please
>pardon me if this has been asked before.  (I searched the list archives and
>failed to find it if so.)

It isn't a FAQ because it's pretty much a non-issue.

>What happened to the Bandwidth directive in the Monitor section in the
>XF86Config file for version 4?  How is one supposed to tell the server
>not to drive the monitor at greater than a certain maximum dot clock,
>regardless of whether the mode in question meets the specified HorizSync
>and VertRefresh ranges, in a v4 XF86Config file?

It was dropped as misleading and not neccessary in most cases.  Do
you have any specific (real) examples of modes and monitors where
a separate dot clock limit would make a difference?

David
--
David Dawes
developer/release engineer                      The XFree86 Project