Problems with sub-pixel rasterisation on SyncMaster 171s TFT display

I've been having quite a bit of trouble attempting to enable sub-pixel
rasterization using the following soft- and hardware:

FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT (i386)
XFree86 4.3.0
NVIDIA 1.0-4365 FreeBSD drivers
Samsung SyncMaster 171s TFT display
GeForce4 MX 440

After dropping 'Xft.antialias:  1' and 'Xft.hinting:    0' into my
~/.Xdefaults, here's an example of what Firebird looks like:
http://www.soulwax.net/stuff/xfree86/aa_messed.png.

`xdpyinfo -ext RENDER | grep sub-pixel` produces:

    Screen 0 (sub-pixel order None)

I attemped to use the fontconfig local.conf configuration file to
explicitly enable sub-pixel rasterisation (even though it seems to work
out-of-the-box for everyone else), but had no luck there either.

I've put up my XF86Config and XFree86.0.log at
http://www.soulwax.net/stuff/xfree86/ in case anyone can spot
oddities. I was forced to hardcode VertRefresh to 60, since leaving a
range would produce three or four blurry vertical "bands" on the
display. For some reason Windows is able to have it running at its
native 1280x1024 resolution at 72Hz without a problem.

I would very much appreciate any possible help to fix this, and my eyes
would be eternally grateful. Thanks.

Please cc me on any replies as I'm not subscribed to the list, thanks.

--
Munish Chopra