Re: I cant get my Radeon 9600se video card to work

On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 10:03:05PM -0600, toxicfeet (toxicfeet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> Radeon 9600se
> ...my Radeon 9600se video card wont work in 3d. All i can currently use in
> linux is the bash shell since kde wont work. I tried downloading current
> drivers from both www.ati.com and www.xfree86.org...
> I would greatly apreciate support for Radeon 9600se and any feed back to
> solve this problem.

I am having the same problem.  I am not a "linux newbie".  I am new to X,
true. However, I remotely admin servers for a living. Rebuilding kernels is
mundane.  Since I switched my GUI desktop to Linux in 2000 RH's default has
been good enough.  Until I failed to do sufficient homework on building
my own new box, that is.  Now I have a $140 boot anchor that performs like
a $15 generic video chipset.  Which is cheap, if I had a boat.  :-(

My understanding for lack of support for the 9600 line is ATI corporate.
On the whole ATI is a much friendly player than others but in this case
I suspect licensing issues with some of the tech built into the 9600.

> Thank you for your time in reading this email

um... yeah.  You are going to want to learn the proper setting for MUA
(mail user agent == mail client).  For example, wrapping of lines.

> A frustrated newbie Linux User.

I feel your pain.
--
ken