Re: xf86ReadMmio32 not found

On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 11:06:01PM +0100, Linus Gasser wrote:
>On Wednesday 10 December 2003 19:52, David Dawes wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 09:30:12AM +0100, Linus Gasser wrote:
>> >As I wrote, I installed a fresh, new XFree 4.3.99.901, cvs from 6th
>> > December, and I also checked that the file that has been compiled in the
>> > XFree-tree is the same as in
>> >/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/r200_dri.so
>> >but I'll check again this evening, just to be sure.
>>
>> What platform are you building on?  It looks like the INREG() code in
>> r200_screen.c could expand to this on some platforms.  Some code in the
>> radeon_dri.so module that uses INREG is #ifdef'd out for Alpha platforms.
>> Not all of it though, and not the instances of it in the r200_dri.so
>> module.
>>
>> David
>
>It's an alpha pc164 (as stated in my first mail ;-), and I stumbled already
>over a first error that got fixed quite fast (#938, thanks to Alan
>Hourihane), obviously I should've filed a second bug. I've done so now, and
>also added the diff with the INREGs #ifdef'd out for Alpha (there was still
>some in radeon_screen.c, r128_ioctl.c). The bug-# is 967, the attachement is
>there. Now it works for me!
>
>thanks for your fast reply and for the right hint!

I don't know that disabling it is a real solution though.  It is
clearly better than it was, but some apps are likely to fail.

Maybe the DRM driver should be providing this information?  I'm
not even sure what the security implications are of allowing the
MMIO area to be mapped into an app.  Doesn't that mean that a rogue
DRI app could potentially reprogram the video hardware, unless it
is mapped read-only?

David
--
David Dawes
developer/release engineer                      The XFree86 Project