Re: xf86ReadMmio32 not found

On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 07:13:39PM -0500, David Dawes wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 11:06:01PM +0100, Linus Gasser wrote:
> >>
> >> What platform are you building on?  It looks like the INREG() code in
> >> r200_screen.c could expand to this on some platforms.  Some code in the
> >> radeon_dri.so module that uses INREG is #ifdef'd out for Alpha platforms.
> >> Not all of it though, and not the instances of it in the r200_dri.so
> >> module.
> >>
> >> David
> >
> >It's an alpha pc164 (as stated in my first mail ;-), and I stumbled already
> >over a first error that got fixed quite fast (#938, thanks to Alan
> >Hourihane), obviously I should've filed a second bug. I've done so now, and
> >also added the diff with the INREGs #ifdef'd out for Alpha (there was still
> >some in radeon_screen.c, r128_ioctl.c). The bug-# is 967, the attachement is
> >there. Now it works for me!
> >
> >thanks for your fast reply and for the right hint!
>
> I don't know that disabling it is a real solution though.  It is
> clearly better than it was, but some apps are likely to fail.
>
> Maybe the DRM driver should be providing this information?  I'm
> not even sure what the security implications are of allowing the
> MMIO area to be mapped into an app.  Doesn't that mean that a rogue
> DRI app could potentially reprogram the video hardware, unless it
> is mapped read-only?

It is mapped read-only.

I guess the only way to handle this is to export the memory read/write
functions in a library to allow DRI drivers to link against. So we'd
have a library that contains xf86ReadMmio32(), xf86ReadMmio16()...

Does that sound plausible David ?

Whether we can do that for 4.4.0 is another matter. Alas, it seems, not
many developers (or users for that matter) are actively testing the DRI
CVS on Alpha's. But I suspect this problem affects more than Alpha's and
other Operating Systems.

Alan.