Optimizing mga2064w matrox-mil 4mb on X 4.3.0

I'm trying to optimize the graphics performance on my aging machine. Basically I just use X for running remote clients, VNC for managing Windoze hosts and web browsing (preferring Links/Lynx wherever possible!). I'm using Gnome 2.4 and WindowMaker 0.80 on a Fedora FC1 distribution (a la RedHat 9.0). I understand that I can't use DRI in combination with the mga driver as it's a PCI card, but is there some way I can improve graphics performance, particularly for drop-down menus etc., apart from the obvious reducing the colour depth, adding a better video card :), and turning any backgrounds/superfluous window anims/icons off? Any good pointers to getting X to reduce the amount of used memory as it's quite a hog even without a winmanager started.

--
<- Ben Davis ->
T: 0044-161-285-1338