Re: [XFree86] startx hangs - SiS 740

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ossie Guy" <ossieguy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <xfree86@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, October 31, 2003 1:37 PM
Subject: [XFree86] startx hangs - SiS 740

> Brand new Cybertron machine, installed Mandrake 9.2, everything works
great
> so far except X - startx produces a blank screen and hangs there. Tried
the
> new Mandrake XFree86-4.3-24mdk rpm compiled Oct. 7 and also tried the
> precompiled sis_drv.o from winischhofer.net. Same result each time, just a
> black screen, no errors that I can see. I have to Alt-F1 to get my shell
> back. Any ideas?

  Two other things.  I assume you've looked at your XF86Config file and
compared it
with the example provided by Winischhofer.  If not, check it to make sure
everything
is kosher.  Second, when you installed Mandrake, did it identify your 740
chip
successfully.  The 740 is a member of the SiS 315 family.  When I initially
installed
SuSE 8.2 it misidentified my 740 as a SiS650.  When I ran the test during
install I
got a blank screen.  I manually selected the option that said SiS315PRO and
everything
worked.  There was another option that said SiS315H that also worked, and I
couldn't
tell the difference between the two.  Anyway, that at least got me up and
running, and
once I was in I noted that the sis_drv.o file was dated in March 03.  Since
Winischhofer's latest is dated late Oct 03, I just compiled the new driver
from source
and overwrote the old.  Everything works.

Regards,
Jeff S