Re: [XFree86] Matrox G200

On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 10:11:56AM +0200, Kerneels Gouws wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> no response on my previous post, so I will try again.  I have some PC's each
> with one onboard Matrox AGP G200 and each 2 x Matrox G200 PCI adaptors.  The
> two PCI adaptors are attached to 17" Monitors.  I would like Xinerama to
> work on these two PCI adaptors but it doesnt work.  Is there a reason why I
> might not be able to do this while there is an AGP adaptor onboard or is it
> maybe something else?  I am not able to disable this AGP adaptor in the
> BIOS, so it is there, but not being used. So what happens is the first
> adaptor works perfectly and displays half of the desktop.  The second
> adaptor tends to display just a bunch of lines on the monitor rather than
> the other half of the desktop, and when you move the mouse accross that
> side, it just becomes a blob that moves around.  The higher I set the
> resolution on this display, the finer the lines are and the smaller the blob
> (mouse cursor)  I have tried taking out one of the PCI adaptors and then
> using one PCI and the AGP card together, but that does not work in fact I
> don't even get the lines or the blob on the second screen.

Is the second card clearly in graphics mode and simply misdisplaying
due to being out of timing sync?

When I ran multiple Matrox cards, XFree86 4.x mistakenly decided to
only use EDID timings from the first monitor and supported modes from the first card to select timing modes across the whole set.

In my case, I was using a G550 and a G450; the 550 could drive the
monitor at *5Hz, the 450 only at 60Hz, but XFree was insisting on
selecting an 85 Hz mode for driving the 450, even though it had
correctly sensed the card did not support it.

> Is there anyone out there that has managed to get two Matrox cards to work
> using Xinerama?

Yes, I drove three different cards (550, 450, 450) in one system, as
well as mixing Matrox cards with cards from other manufacturers with
Xinerama.  Aside from the timing issue (and the hardware cursor being
broken), it all just worked.

Monty