[XFree86] newebie advice

Hello,
360 degree newbie.
I am going to attempt to install Xfree86 and KDE.
Not sure why but the few times I have setup my freebsd boxes I could never
get it or X11 to run so thought I give it a try.
I was hoping that if anyone had any advice for
*-hardware - in reading the sites/posts it sounds like video cards are the
major hardware stumbling block to running x windows
*- advice on install procedures -binaries vs source , install options passed
to ./configure or the makes.

* anything to make it easier for a dummy to set this up and run and to use
it.

Thanks
Mark