[XFree86] X on a Dell Laptop

i have installed several flavors of linux on my dell latitude c800 that i recently got. Every time i installed one x failed with the same error
(EE) R128(0): Virtual height (0) is too small for the hardware
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
i have found a thousand websites with other people asking about the same error with no solutions
i also noted that apparently this error didnt exist in older linux flavors so I installed redhat 7.3 and that went
flawlessly so i have to imagine the error is in the new xserver included in newer linuxs conflicting witth my ati mobility m4 based on the rage 128 mobility chipset
if you could direct me towards some source of info that could help me that'd be great
Doug Russell