Re: [XFree86] nvidia quadro 280: cannot start x

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, praveen kallakuri wrote:

> Mark Vojkovich wrote:
> > On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, Praveen Kallakuri wrote:
> >

> >>hi
> >>

> >>i am having trouble starting x with this nvidia quadro graphics card on a dell precision 360. i got the driver from nvidia's website and
> >>installed it. i really think its not a driver issue but something fundamental with X. this is a new debian installation and i have never
> >>run X on it before. i did upgrade to xfree 4.3 though and built a new 2.4.22 kernel. i attached the log and the config file. can someone
> >>tell me where i am going wrong?
> >>

> >   You seem to have a problem with your XFree86 installation.  You
> > have version 4.3, yet at least one of your XFree86 modules (the
> > one it's crashing on) is from 4.2.
> >
> > (II) Module pcidata: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
> >         compiled for 4.2.0, module version = 0.1.0
> >         ABI class: XFree86 Video Driver, version 0.5
> >

> doesn't that happen sometimes? i mean i did run across modules that
> belonged to prev versions but still included because they could work. in

   I don't think so.  If you build XFree86 4.3 you get 4.3 modules.
Mixing modules usually works, but not always.  Pcidata is one of
those modules that should get upgraded with each new server.

> any case, i guess what you are asking me to do is run a fresh install of
> xf4.3. i was planning to do that... basically i will move /etc/X11R6 and
> /etc/X11 and reinstall x. hope that will work.

   I think all you need to do is remove the /usr/X11R6/lib/modules
directory and reinstall.  Note you'll need to reinstall NVIDIA's
binary drivers after upgrading XFree86, as XFree86 will blow away
NVIDIA's OpenGL libraries.

		Mark.